Thursday, January 3, 2019

OPI Spring 2019 Tokyo Collection Swatches and Comparisons

Happy 2019!! Can you believe the OPI Spring collection is already here?! Time flies when you follow nail polish collections instead of seasons ;) Here are the 12 new polishes from the Spring 2019 Tokyo collection, there are also 6 limited edition polishes but I do not have those. As always I purchased these from PolishPick.com. If you pick these or anything else up from them, tell them "Sparkle & Polish" sent you!
Swatches
Tempura-ture is Rising!
From the promo pics and OPI's description of this polish, I was expecting a true hot orange color. I still really like this, it is just more coral/pink toned than I anticipated. This looks a lot like Living Coral, the Pantone color of 2019. I did 3 thin coats for opacity here, formula was thin but easy to control and manipulate. 

Another Ramen-tic Evening
basic dusty pink? dusty rose? A neutral yet dusty pale pink. I surprisingly didn't hate this, it is by far my favorite pink/neutral polish from the past 3 OPI collections. Formula is solid, 2 thin easy coats for perfect opacity. It does dry a shade deeper than in the bottle. 

Rice Rice Baby
slightly darker dusty pink? mauve? This color looks so bad on me y'all, cool and dusty mid toned pink looks dead on me. Formula is amazing though if this is a shade you like. 2 coats for perfect coverage. 

Arigato From Tokyo
Orchid creme. Formula is amazing! With a slightly thicker coat this could easily be a one coater. I thought I would hate the color in the bottle, but I actually really like it. A surprise fav for me from this collection :)

Hurry-juku Get This Color!
This a muted fuchsia/berry creme? This is a surprise favorite for me. The formula is incredible, one coat perfection! And I actually like this color on me, I usually am not a fan or pinks/purples that are super red toned like this but this one is a hit! I don't really see this as a spring/summer polish, but I think it is a perfect transition shade for summer to fall or winter to spring. 

All Your Dreams in Vending Machines
A bright pink with purple/fuchsia shimmer- looks almost metallic on the nail. This is definitely not a polish with subtle or hidden shimmer, this is serious sparkle going on. Also this is a total Barbie pink in my opinion. Formula is thin but nice, I only needed 2 coats for opacity. 

Samurai Breaks a Nail
An orchid purple jelly with fine blue shimmer and bigger pink shimmer. I'm pretty sure this is just Grandma Kissed a Gaucho from the fall 2018 Peru collection with added shimmer. This has the same slightly sticky jelly formula that Grandma has.... I really think thats what OPI did here....  It took 3 coats for opacity, but I found the formula very difficult. Sadly this polish is a fail for me, not worth the crap formula for a color that isn't my personal style. Side note, this polish dried much slower than what I'm used to with OPI and with quick dry top coat. 

Chopstix and Stones
This is a deep blue with bright blue shimmer. This has a pretty thin formula but I think that is why the pretty shimmer shows through so well. I did 3 thin careful coats for opacity and was very happy with the final look. Polish carefully with this one, it will stain your cuticles if you paint a bit messy like I did also I would recommend doubling up on base coat so your nails won't be stained. 

Kanpai OPI
Cheers OPI! I am in love with this dusty periwinkle/lilac creme shade! I did 3 thin perfect coats and this polish dried quickly and glossy. To me, this is the perfect winter to spring transition color. It does dry a tiny bit deeper than in the bottle, but it doesn't bother me here. 

Suzi-san Climbs Fuji-san
This is a blue toned teal creme, even though OPI describes this as emerald... lol nope not emerald, but still gorgeous! Formula is a bit thin, but I only needed 2 thin coats for opacity. I think this is another fabulous color to wear as a seasonal transitional shade. Perfect for winter to spring and even summer to fall in my opinion. Fun fact, someone in the OPI Mad Love Facebook group shared that this name actually means Ms. Suzi climbs Mr. Fuji, which makes me love it even more. 

I'm On A Sushi Roll
Obsessed!! I love this polish so much! The color, the name, all of it! This is bright tealy green goodness, much more emerald in my opinion. Great formula, a little thin but easy to control. 2 thin coats for perfect opacity. 

How Does Your Zen Garden Grow? 
pale muted green creme? muted lime green? Pale wasabi green creme. I love this polish, even if it isn't the most flattering on me. The first coat was a little sheer, but I had perfect opacity with 2 coats. This did photograph a bit brighter than it appears in person. 

Comparisons
Tempura-ture is Rising! (pointer/ring) vs Live, Love, Carnival (middle) vs Toucan Do It If You Try (pinky)
Not dupes, but all are similar. I really want to do a gradient with these 3 polishes, I think they would blend seamlessly in to each other and be bright tropical goodness. 

Another Ramen-tic Evening (middle)vs Rice Rice Baby (ring)vs Seven Wonders of OPI (pinky)vs Lavendare to Find Courage (pointer)
Not dupes but I'd say they are in the same color family for sure, 2 coats of each. All 4 had nice formulas, not a fan of any of these shades honestly. 

Arigato From Tokyo (pointer/ring) vs Suzi Will Quechua Later! (middle/pinky)
These aren't dupes, but I'd say they are 2 different shades of the same color. Like maybe OPI made a massive amount of Arigato and then dumped white in half of it to make Suzi. Both have stellar formulas as well. 

All Your Dreams in Vending Machines (ring)vs Samurai Breaks a Nail (middle)vs Berry Fairy Fun (pointer) vs Pompeii Purple (pinky)
Definitely not dupes. All Your Dreams and Samurai both have an almost metallic or pearlized finish that is very similar but clearly the colors are different. Berry Fairy Fun is like the glass-flecked baby of the 2 new shades. Pompeii Purple, which is definitely pink, is pretty close in color to All Your Dreams, but the finishes are different for sure. 

Hurry-juku Get This Color! (pointer/ring) vs Just Beclaus (middle)vs Toying With Trouble (pinky)
Def not dupes, I think this may be close to Spare Me a French Quarter from the Spring 2016 New Orleans collection but I don't own that to compare. Hurry-juku is my favorite of all 3 for sure. 

Chopstix and Stones (pointer/ring)vs Chills are Multiplying (middle/pinky)
These are stupid close. I feel like all they did was thin Chills are Multiplying and maybe add a little bit more shimmer, or maybe the shimmer is just more visible due to the thinner formula? Anyways I like the color of Chopstix more, but I much prefer the thicker formula from Chills. Both of these were super hard for me to photograph. Unless you love shimmery dark blue I don't think you need both of these. I would probably pick Chopstix purely for the more visible shimmer.

Kanpai OPI (pointer/ring) vs  I am What I Amethyst (middle)vs Dreams Need Clara-fication (pinky)
I'm pleasantly surprised to see that these aren't dupes. They look much closer in the bottle than on the nail. I love all 3 of these shades and am glad to own all of them. I really want to do a gradient with Kanpai and Amethyst, that topped with China Glaze Fairy Dust would be stunning!!

Suzi-san Climbs Fuji-san (pointer/ring) vs Can't Find My Czechbook (middle/pinky)
Super close, but not dupes. Czechbook is more blue and dusty, it also has more white in the base and a creamier formula. As a huge blue polish lover I think these are different enough to own both, also not sure how easy it is to find Czechbook anymore so it doesn't both me that these are close

Suzi-san Climbs Fuji-san (pointer/ring) vs I'm on a Sushi Roll (middle/pinky)
Obviously I was hoping these weren't dupes, but as they are both from this collection I had to see how they compare. These are ridiculously close to be released in the same collection, but I do really love both of these colors. To me, these are the brighter versions of Alpaca My Bags and Ayahuasca Made Me Do It from the Fall 2018 Peru collection.

I'm On a Sushi Roll (pointer/ring) vs My Dogsled's a Hybrid (middle) vs Teal Me More Teal Me More (pinky)
Not dupes, I'd say these shades are all in the same family though. I love them all and am happy to own them. 

How Does Your Zen Garden Grow? (pointer/ring) vs That's Hula-rious (middle/pinky)
Zen Garden is much more yellow toned. I think it may be closer to Gargantuan Green Grape or maybe even Don't Talk Bach To Me, but I don't own either of those to compare. 

Final thoughts, I love this collection as a whole! For the first time in a while I feel super inspired to play and do fun nail art with most of these polishes! Which polishes are your favs from the collection? Are you planning on picking any up? These are available now on PolishPick.com and should be available at other OPI retailers around Feb. 1! Also if you want to see video swatches and additional comparisons of this collection, check out Phoebe Moon's video.

Stay Sparkly,
A



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the swatches and love your comparisons. I saw these and wasn't too excited, only when I started to put them on did I really like many of these. My favorites are Another Ramem-tic Evening, Rice Rice Baby, and I'm on A Sushi Roll. The dustiness is what got me. They look so flattering on my pale skin without looking so harsh, and I normally do go for these colors, mostly whites and shimmers, but these applied so well with little effort and were so glossy. Love the formulas, the cremes are getting better and better from OPI seems like. Thanks for your great pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is amazing! Trying to get accurate swatches online is impossible. Please post more!!!

    ReplyDelete